14 July 2013

Rhubarb chutney


Now I truly must be becoming British as I have made my first ever chutney! I was inspired to this by some rhubarb I received from a nearby garden and wanted to make something new out of rhubarb.

This chutney is very easy and quick to make. I think I'm going to make more of this and other chutneys in the future.

400g rhubarb
1 onion
100ml Aspall cyder vinegar
200g sugar
Ginger powder

Peel and chop the rhubarb into small pieces. Also chop the onion.


Heat the chopped onion, vinegar, sugar and ginger powder in a pan and boil for about 5 minutes. Add the rhubarb and let simmer for about 20 minutes. The chutney should reach a thicker consistency. I first was reluctant adding so much sugar, but it really is needed and the end result is tasty.

I ate this chutney with some cider battered smoked cheddar and zucchini oven fries out of homegrown small zucchinis. It went really well with the smoky taste.




You can find my smoky cheese recipe here and the zucchini fries here.

Your VegHog


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.