12 May 2014

Sea-buckthorn bread


Sea-buckthorn is the healthiest berry I know, a real super berry, and it's taste is very interesting. I've been looking for a sea-buckthorn bread recipe since I bought some ground dried sea-buckthorn powder in Finland, and finally I've found an idea here that I wanted to try out. The sea-buckthorn berry powder adds a really nice flavour to this bread, and I must say that this is one of my absolute favourites. I changed the recipe a little bit, so here is my version of it.

Recipe for 2 loaves

500 ml water
50 ml melted butter
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp dry yeast (about 1 small bag)
8-9 dl bread flour
3 dl stoneground oatmeal
0,5 dl sea-buckthorn powder

Mix the dry ingredients, melt the butter and heat the water lukewarm. Add the butter, water and syrup into the dry ingredients and knead into and even bread dough. Add more flour or liquid, if the texture isn't satisfactory.

Let the dough raise for about 15 minutes under a tea towel. Then shape it into 2 loaves of bread or into smaller rolls. Let them rest under a tea towel and double the size.

Sprinkle a little water on the top and bake the breads at 220C for about 20-25 minutes (depending on the size).

Let them cool a little and then enjoy with butter and cheese, or save some for later.



Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.