24 January 2015

Caribbean style sweet potato curry with chilli roti bread


I have been planning to make a Caribbean style curry for a while now that I have managed to make a few edible Indian style curries. When I watched the BBC cooking programme How to be a better cook by Lorraine Pascale, and saw a Caribbean style curry made there, I thought that that recipe would make a nice base for a vegetarian one. You can find the original here, which unfortunately isn't vegetarian. I quite often still enjoy watching cookery shows where also meat dishes are prepared, because I can always learn a new style of cooking or get new recipe ideas. Most things can be altered and made vegetarian anyway. I also like Lorraine's style a lot.


I made the chilli roti bread as described on the BBC's page, so please refer to that recipe when making the bread. The curry recipe I obviously had to amend as it wasn't vegetarian, but I still followed Lorraine's tips for the preparation. Mine is maybe simpler, which also makes it a wonderfully easy curry to prepare quickly at home. So here is my version below and the original one can be found here.

Ingredients

2 sweet potatoes
4 cm piece of fresh ginger
2 red chillies
2 tbsp medium curry powder
400 g coconut milk
200 ml vegetable stock
200 g sugar snap peas
4 spring onions
1 lime

Method

Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into cubes.

Chop the ginger and chillies very finely.

Add the curry powder to a medium hot pan and cook for a couple of minutes until the aromas are released.

Add the sweet potato cubes, chilli and ginger to the pan and stir.

Then add the coconut milk and the vegetable stock.

Simmer until the sweet potato is cooked.

Chop the spring onions into thin slices. You can cut the sugar snaps in half (like I did) or leaves them as whole. Add them both to the pan.

Press the juice of a lime onto the curry.

Serve with the spicy chilli roti breads and enjoy!



Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, why can't we be neighbors? ;___;
    I feel like I might mess up on the bread, but if I can try, then I'll give it a go sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be nice, being neighbours! :)
      I think that you should give it a go, as the recipe really is surprisingly easy, even the bread. It featured on a show where people who had never cooked in their lives were taught some easy recipes. I'm sure you can do it easily!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.