29 January 2015

Chickpea and roasted root vegetable hotpot


As snow falls over Britain (in many places, here I only saw about 5 snow flakes), it's suitable to post a warming winter dish. For the life of me I couldn't decide whether to call this dish a soup or a stew, so I went for a hotpot in the end. This dish can be a little bit of all of them, but I do find that it's a nice mid-winter dish. I haven't published too many soup or stew recipes here lately, but the other day I had the idea for this dish. It's cheap and easy to make and it tastes lovely and savoury in all its simplicity.

This is yet another vegan dish. Although I didn't commit to Veganuary, I have noticed that I've been cooking amazingly many vegan dishes this month. For me it's probably better not to be “forced” to eat vegan, then I do it quite voluntarily and almost without noticing. Don't get me wrong, there has been a lot of cheese, hot chocolate etc., so I haven't changed my ways.

Ingredients

2 parsnips
2 carrots
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp thyme
2 shallots
3 garlic cloves
1 cup cooked chickpeas
1 l water
1 vegetable stock cube
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh coriander leaves

Method

Peel and chop the parsnips and carrots into cubes. Brush them with olive oil, sprinkle thyme on them and roast in the oven until done with roasting marks.

Chop the shallots and garlic finely and cook them in a saucepan in olive oil until soft. Add the cooked chickpeas to the pan and shortly after that, the water and vegetable stock cube.

Let simmer for a while and just towards the end, add the roasted root vegetables and season the hotpot.



Serve warm, maybe with a slice of bread.

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. love your serving bowl - looks just right for a hotpot - lovely warming dish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna! The dish is quite basic, but sometimes good, and I also like this bowl very much. Have a good weekend!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.