21 January 2015

Freekeh salad with roasted courgettes and halloumi


Earlier this month I posted my first freekeh recipe on this blog: Smoky freekeh with peppers, beans and sweetcorn. Now I'm utterly freaking out for freekeh! At least I should get all my proteins and fibre at the moment, judging by the amount of freekeh I've been eating. This smoky freekeh is just perfect for different seasonal dishes at the moment and today I have made a warm and cold salad with it. The salad consists of roasted baby courgettes, halloumi, mixed leaves, pumpkin seeds and of course some freekeh. The fresh coriander added a wonderful flavour to this dish and as so often, I couldn't leave fried halloumi out of this salad.

Here's my salad recipe that is also my contribution to the 'Eat Your Greens' challenge by Shaheen from the A2K – A Seasonal Veg Table blog for the month January.


Freekeh salad with roasted courgettes and halloumi

Ingredients

1 shallot
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup smoky freekeh
1 ½ cup vegetable stock
200 g baby courgettes
250 g halloumi
2 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp smoked paprika
Pumpkin seeds
Fresh coriander leaves
110 g mixed salad leaves
Olive oil + balsamic vinegar + salt + pepper drizzled on the top


Method

Rinse the freekeh. Chop the shallot and garlic finely and cook them soft in olive oil.

Add the freekeh to the pan with about one and a half cups of vegetable stock. More liquid can be added later if needed.

Let simmer under lid for about 30 minutes and season with the smoky paprika towards the end.

Cut the courgettes in about 1 cm long pieces and brush with olive oil. Roast them in the oven until they are soft with roasting marks.

Cut the halloumi into cubes and fry them in vegetable oil until golden brown.

Combine the components on a plate, drizzle olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper on the top and serve as a warm and cold salad.

Done! Easy!



Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. I've been eating salads more often since I'm constantly on the move now. This salad looks so hearty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have also been eating quite many salads, atypically for this season, but in the winter I like to add more hearty things to them. What keeps you on the move at the moment? Hopefully something pleasant. :)

      Delete
  2. This is really lovely. I am a fan of freekeh too. Thank you for sharing with Eat Your Greens, the round up should be up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shaheen! I'm really looking forward to the round up.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.