1 January 2015

My Cookbooks Part II – New Feast by Greg & Lucy Malouf

Happy New Year everyone! It's a New Feast for the New Year. I haven't made any resolutions as such, but I would like to be able to continue cooking and blogging as thus far and lead a healthy and balanced life. Hopefully that's not too much to ask.

Now after Christmas I haven't been cooking much anything that takes an effort, therefore the first post for this year won't be a recipe. However I am planning to make a vegetarian roast dinner today, which might appear here later. I started My Cookbooks series in November last year and Part I can be found here. Now I wanted to continue the series with a book that I got for Christmas: New Feast, Modern Middle Eastern Vegetarian, by Greg and Lucy Malouf.


I haven't had time to cook anything from this book yet, but it is showing promise and I can't wait to try some of the recipes and learn new techniques and ways of spicing. In general there are so many very good Middle Eastern veggie dishes and I enjoy the seasoning and choice of ingredients in that style of cuisine. This book has a massive choice on different recipes and suggestions for menu ideas for different occasions.

I'm particularly keen on trying to make some of the breads, such as the griddled flatbreads (p. 36) or Middle Eastern pizzas (p. 46-49), and the flavoured butters would make a wonderful addition to those (p. 52-57).


I'm also very interested in making some of those vegetarian dips and spreads, as there can never be enough in your selection. These could go so well with different fritters, and for those there is also a whole chapter in the book.

The roasted tomato and chickpea curry with coconut and coriander (p. 208-209) looks and sounds so tasty that it might be one of the first dishes I try to cook from here. Or then it will be the tomato and bean soup with harissa and honey (p. 94-95), as I do like the sound of that as a good winter dish.


And how about this wedding couscous with herbs and flowers (p. 218-219) – it just looks so great!


I will make sure I'll post any cooking attempts from this book in the blog and refer to the book as always. I can't wait to get started!

Your VegHog

6 comments:

  1. Lovely book. I have two of their cookbooks and I am ashamed to admit that I have never ever cooked from them. I think this may be the one I would cook from. From what you have shown, the recipes seem to be more down to earth and homely, those from the previous cookbooks have been restaurantey, I will have to revisit them to see if I change my mind, but I will certainly look out for this book,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like this book and the recipes are indeed homely. Definitely have a look through, if you see it anywhere.

      Delete
  2. I also have a few of their other cookbooks but I like the sound of this one because it is vegetarian. I look forward to seeing what you like. That tomato and bean dish looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet!

      This is my first book by Greg & Lucy, but I am liking it very much. That tomato and bean soup also got my attention and I would like to make it soon.

      Delete
  3. Hi, I just discovered your blog while looking for info on New Feast - I love your writing style and look forward to hearing which recipes you end up trying! (I am reviewing New Feast in the near future for an online publication, but so far all I've had time to make were the Turkish yoghurt rolls!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment! Let me know when your review is published, I would very much like to read it. I'm also keen on trying many recipes from this book.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.