13 April 2015

Watercress rolls


Watercress is in season at the moment and I like adding it to salads, but now I made something slightly different with it. I baked spelt rolls with added watercress and they turned out to be quite good. I spontaneously invented this recipe, as I wanted to eat some rolls and at the same didn't want the excess watercress go to waste.

I also want to share this recipe with the Eat Your Greens vegetarian cooking challenge involving green vegetables. This challenge is hosted by Shaheen from the A2K - A Seasonal Veg Table and I thought that a watercress recipe could be a suitable one for April. 


Here is how I made my Watercress rolls:

Ingredients

250 g spelt flour
1 tbsp dry yeast
100 g spelt flakes
200 ml lukewarm water
1 tbsp olive oil
60 g watercress
Poppy seeds for the top

Method

Soak the spelt flakes in the lukewarm water for a couple of minutes.

Combine the dry ingredients.

Add the water with the spelt flakes to the dry ingredients.

Mix and knead to an even dough and also add the olive oil.

Then add the watercress (larger stalks removed).

Knead some more and let the dough rise in a bowl covered with a tea towel for about one hour.

Shape rolls of the dough and sprinkle some poppy seeds on the top.

Bake them at 220C for about 10-15 minutes until crispy and golden brown.

The rolls are at their best when fresh, but can still be consumed a day or two after the baking.



Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. Yours savoury rolls enhanced further with watercress are gorgeous. I really want one - warm, crispy and crunchy. I've actually made a sweet soda bread this evening (I will share later in the week), but its your savoury ones that got me excited. By the way where did you pick up the spelt flakes should I wish to give them a go in the future. Also thank you so much for sharing with #EatYourGreens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you! Your sweet soda bread also sounds very good!

      I ordered my spelt flakes from Sharpham Park and use them very often in homemade rolls and bread, or just make porridge out of them.

      Delete
  2. I love these - watercress is something I like the idea of but never know what to do with it - but I love some green - they would be so lovely with some soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna! I normally only use watercress for salads, but apart from these rolls I have also made cheddar and watercress scones that were quite popular among the eaters.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.