5 January 2016

Tomato and chickpea soup with harissa


I'm not officially participating in Veganuary, as I basically missed the beginning and also have the lame excuse that I opened my favourite Finnish cheese in late December and now have to eat my way through the one kilogram bauble not to let it ruin. Anyhow I've been eating predominantly vegan otherwise and want to do so more now.

This tomato and chickpea soup with harissa that I made yesterday evening is an easy recipe for weekdays. It's a very warming vegan soup with a hint of spice. I wanted to add that oak smoked Anglesey sea salt to it, which indeed added quite a nice smokiness to the dish.

Here is my recipe.

Ingredients

400 g / 1 can chickpeas
300 g plum tomatoes
1 onion
3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp olive oil
400 ml vegetable stock
4 tbsp tomato purée
2- 3 tsp harissa
Few fresh parsley leaves
Smoked paprika to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
Pinch of oak smoked sea salt

Method

Soak the dried chickpeas overnight, or just use some from a can.

Chop the tomatoes coarsely and onion and garlic finely.

Cook the onion and garlic in olive oil until soft and then add the tomatoes.

After a while add the vegetable stock and simmer the soup.

Purée the soup, if you prefer. I puréed it a little bit by still leaving some tomato and onion pieces.

I wanted to leave the chickpeas whole, so they were added after the puréeing.

Season the soup and let simmer until the flavours have blended nicely.




Enjoy!

Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.