14 April 2016

Udon noodles in peanut sauce with tofu and broccoli


I made a comforting bowl of thick udon noodles in peanut sauce served with firmly fried tofu and steamed broccoli. I got the idea for this dish from The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit, as there was a description of the flavour combination of coriander leaf and peanut. I have to say that coriander really did add something nice to this dish and broccoli was a nice addition too.

This was a surprisingly fast and uncomplicated weekday dish and I will surely be refining this recipe further. Next time I'll probably try smaller tofu pieces and smaller broccoli florets mixed straight into the noodles. I will also try to this with other veggies.

So here's my vegan recipe of today:

Ingredients

300 g tofu
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves
3 cm ginger
Handful of peanuts
Sprinkle of chilli flakes
Splash of soy sauce
Splash of toasted sesame oil
3 tbsp peanut butter
Fresh coriander
200 g udon noodles
1 broccoli

Method

Chop the garlic and ginger finely and peel the peanuts.

Cut the tofu into large pieces and fry them in vegetable oil until firm and golden brown.

Cut the broccoli into florets and steam them.

Cook the noodles in water.

Start frying the garlic and ginger in a pan and after a while add the peanuts.

Add the chilli flakes, a splash of soy sauce, a splash of toasted sesame oil and peanut butter.

Once these have made a nice sauce, also add the udon noodles to the pan and season with fresh coriander.

Serve all components together and enjoy!



Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. I am not into noodles, though the one I do enjoy eating happen to be soba and udon noodles. Love the sound of this. i am hoping to try more noodle style dishes this year to see if I can be converted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't too mich into noodles until the recent years either, but these wonderful thick udons are just great!

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to make something with the broccoli I have at home but have been stumped! I'll be making this soon since I also have some udon noodles at home. :) Thank you for sharing this recipe!

    VEGETARIAN COURTESYFACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.