7 June 2017

In My New Kitchen in June



So I went and moved countries. It wasn't by far the first time for me, so I wasn't too nervous about it, but of  course it's always stressful to start in a new job and at the same to try and sort out many things. I still have loads to do, but after a few nights at an Airbnb flat I've finally been able to move in to our new flat! I'm excited although I'm on my own and my partner can only join me at the end of next month.

Anyway, I wanted to show you our new kitchen and some of my first food shopping in Denmark. I'm finding quite a lot of organic produce in the shops and many wonderful vegetable markets close by, so this will be great once I'm fully organised.

My new kitchen is small, but it has nice large windows, and for the first time ever, I actually have a proper dining corner. Through the kitchen windows is a view to a slightly green backyard with a seating area and of course bicycle storage.

I've never cooked with gas, until I tried my new hob here. I was so afraid of touching the thing, so I first read the manufacturer's manual before proceeding. I know, right! But actually it was fine after a couple of clicks and turns and I was all fired up. I of course still need to get used to the settings, but I'm sure it will be fine. I will soon post the dish here that I cooked first in my new kitchen.






Otherwise I've been trying to explore the food markets and supermarkets quite a bit. From certain places I would simply like to buy everything, but I guess that's not possible, so a lot of patience is needed.

Here is my first shop for this home from our local small Irma market. I might have left a couple of really boring items out of the picture, but this was pretty much it. There are some organic veggies, pasta, cheese, spices, juice and oat flakes. I was most exited about the quinoa and beluga lentils in plastic containers. Somehow these were more appealing than the plastic bag ones. They have possibly more waste on them, but the containers could also be recycled.


I was also thrilled to see a spice mix, which is also a Finnish favourite, lemon pepper. It's pretty much just ground pepper and lemon zest, but how convenient to have that in a pre-made mix, don't you think? Icelandic sea salt also seems very nice.



This little corner shop actually has a very decent selection. They have sushi nori, organic coconut cream and a nice selection of fresh veggies. I'm very happy with this, and there are of course many other shops and most importantly vegetable markets around.




My brand new Moomin mugs have also found their home here. They were in my hand luggage with other precious things with which I wanted to make myself feel more like home.


And of course I want to share this post with Sherry who is hosting the In My Kitchen blogging event. Have a look at her post with links to other people's kitchens.

So soon I'll try to post something I've cooked in this new kitchen. Stay tuned for my Copenhagen adventures!

Your VegHog

11 comments:

  1. So nice to get a gander into your new place. I would love to have gas, its easy to control. Your corner shop sounds fab, having ingredients you named stocked is exciting. Do you have access to the garden? I look forward to seeing your cooked dishes soon. Glad your settling in too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment Shaheen! I'm sure there will be plenty of posts from here, as I'm only getting started. I should even have an internet connection soon and don't have to do everything on mobile devices or at work. I do also have access to the garden and there are a couple of tables there, so could be nice to go there sometimes.

      Delete
  2. good luck in your new country. I gulp at the thought of it. you are very brave. was it for your job? i like the look of the wooden floors in your flat. very nice. i have always cooked on and with gas so i would dread cooking on anything else. thanks for joining in IMK this month. I love the lemon pepper, and how about those Moomin mugs? i'm very envious. see you next month. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy about the wooden floors everywhere, they are nice looking and easy to clean. I wanted to move closer to family for a while now, and brexit made me realise my plans a bit quicker. I just started to look for jobs in my favourite city, which happened to be Copenhagen. I got lucky with a good job as well, so am really happy.

      Delete
  3. Wow, wow, wow! You moved. I bet your first food shop was exciting but also frustrating. Learning about new brands, new ingredients. I went shopping in Switzerland once and bought a dozen eggs that turned out to be a dozen boiled eggs (yes, pre cooked). Such are the delights of living outside your comfort zone.

    Thanks for the tour. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the boiled eggs from Germany, very confusing. Luckily I never bought them by mistake, must have been quite disappointing. :) There will be plenty more posts from Copenhagen, so stay tuned.

      Delete
  4. Your kitchen looks very stylish with nice views - and a dining area is fantastic. I am curious about the bike shed in the yard - I have never seen this in flat or houses I have lived in - one house I lived in had a huge hall where we put the bikes but we are in a smaller place now and keep the bikes on the verandah. I have mostly had gas since I was cooking and love it though I did have a new electric oven a while back that I enjoyed but I love gas hobs. It is different from electric but I am sure you will adjust. Your food basics look like fine food - good luck with settling into your new kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the nordic countries this kind of bike areas are quite typical, at least we have them in Finland too, and the Finns cycle much less than the Danes. I will need to get a bike soon, as I love the bike rush hour going past me when I'm walking. Would be nice to be part of it. I'm starting to get used to the gas cooker as well, my morning porridge is so fast, but then I worry all day whether I left it on. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the tour through your new kitchen, it must be wonderful to be settled and cooking in your own place finally. Please do continue to post your progress and about your experiences. It has always been a dream to live in another country for long enough for it to feel like home. Lucky you to have a green view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm very happy at the moment and it will get even better once I've been here for a while and speak the language more. I will certainly be updating the blog more soon, as will get an internet connection at home.

      Delete
  6. Clever renovation ideas, good job! Might actually use it myself, as I'm planning to do kitchen improvement later this year. I've seen some goregous inspirations at http://thehomeexpert.uk/, but I want to do as much as I can just by myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.