15 July 2013

Vegan tomato and olive tofu spread


I think that it's difficult to find great ready made vegan bread spreads, so I decided to make my own. That way I know that all ingredients are fresh and I can make combinations just like I want them.

This is a very simple spread to make, so go on and have a try!

Ingredients

400g soft tofu
100g black olives
200g cherry tomatoes
1 orange pepper
½ red onion
1 garlic clove
Olive oil
Basil
Pepper
Salt

Method

First make a sauce, similar to a tomato sauce. Chop the onion, garlic and pepper finely. Heat some olive oil in a saucepan and add the tomatoes. Simmer them under the lid until they are breaking apart and forming a saucy texture. Then add the onion, pepper and garlic and let it simmer further. Season with salt, pepper and basil and let the sauce cool down.

Chop the olives and add them to the cool tomato and pepper sauce. Add the tofu, which you might want to press first to remove any excess fluid. Then puree everything into an even paste and it's done.


I served this spread with Peter's Yard artisan sourdough crispbreads and that was a lovely match. But you can combine this spread as you please.


Stay hungry!


Your VegHog


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.