23 December 2013

Malty Christmas and a hoppy New Year!

I made a big sacrifice and sampled eight Christmas beers for you. Believe me, it wasn't easy as many of them are quite potent. I hope that these short tasting notes can help out a little for choosing the right Christmas beers for you.

Stille Nacht

12% De Dolle Brouwers, Esen Belgium

- live beer, like a real ale

- rich and malty, almost raisiny character, a bit like a barley wine, spicy

- tastes like a Belgian beer (which it is)

Hoppy Christmas

7,2% BrewDog, Scotland

- a festive pale ale

- citrussy taste: grapefruit, papaya, pineapple

- strong bitter hoppy finish

 

Jouluolut

4,6% Sinebrychoff, Finland

- malty and rich on barley

- some underlying hints of raisins and plums

- toffee undertaste

Delirium Christmas

10% Delirium, Belgium

- good bitterness

- slightly toffee in taste

- some burnt notes

 

 

Kerst Pater Special Christmas Beer

9% Kerst Pater, Belgium

- sweet

- almost chestnutty taste

- dark malty taste with a strong nutty aftertaste

7,8% Brussels, Belgium

- toasty malty, dark

- Belgian spiciness

- long bitter finish

Twelve Days

5,5% Hook Norton Brewery, England

- dark

- burnt malt and dark chocolate notes

- smooth finish

 

 

 

 

Lapin Kulta Luomu Jouluolut

4,6% Finland

- slightly bitter from hops

- toffee taste

- toasty notes

All these beers were very enjoyable. Try them, if you can get hold of them.

Then I wish you all a peaceful and hoggy Christmas!

Your VegHog

 

2 comments:

  1. This is actually very helpful; thank you! I'm not a big fan of beer so I never drink it. However, if I can get a hold of one without a bitter taste. Them I'll be sure to give it a try. :)
    Happy holidays!

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge beer drinker myself either, but sometimes it's nice. Happy holidays to you too, Adi!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.