7 June 2014

Blueberry pie


The fresh berries that are appearing in the shops and markets at the moment are calling my name and I want to incorporate as many to my cooking as possible. This includes the occasional sweet pie or cake as well. Today I made an oat based blueberry pie very rich on berries, for which I found this easy recipe by Valio. The recipe is only in Finnish on that page, so I am going to give my version here, as I also have changed a couple of small things as usual. I guess this pie could even be called a blueberry cheesecake, as soft cheese is a main part of the filling.

The base:

100 ml melted butter
1 egg
½ dl sugar
½ dl wheat flour
3 ½ dl oat flakes
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp vanilla sugar

The filling:

3-4 dl blueberries
200 g plain soft cheese
1 egg
½ dl sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar

The decoration:

1 tbsp blueberries
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp sugar

Method:

Line a baking tin with baking paper. I used my Ø 25cm pie tin, and it seemed to be just the right size for this. Whisk the butter, egg and sugar into smooth consistency. Then add the flour, baking powder, vanilla sugar and oat flakes and mix into a base dough.

Spread the dough into the baking tin, also around the edges. It should be relatively soft to spread, but could get sticky. Floury hands could help you then to press the dough everywhere you need it.

Pour the blueberries onto the base. Whisk the soft cheese with egg and sugar and pour it on the top of the blueberries.

For the top decoration press one tablespoon of blueberries through a sieve and mix the blueberry juice with lemon juice and sugar. Pour the juice on the pie in circles and then pull a knife through the juice from the middle of the pie towards the edges to make the decoration pattern.

Bake the pie at 175C for about 40 minutes. Serve chilled and enjoy!



Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.