11 August 2014

Cool strawberry and bell pepper soup


I found this experimental summer soup recipe on the web pages of a Finnish newspaper. The combination of peppers, shallots and strawberries does sound a bit strange, but it also made me curious of what it would taste like. Of course we are all familiar with gazpacho, the classic of cold vegetable soups, and the principle of making this soup reminds me of gazpacho, but combines other, more exciting summer flavours. I must say that the taste of this soup is very interesting (as was my first reaction), but it's not too bad at all. This dish was a nice refreshment and a sufficiently filling meal on a hot day. 

I changed a couple of things from the original, and here is my version of the recipe.

Ingredients

3 large red bell peppers
1 shallot
2 tomatoes
400 g strawberries
2 garlic cloves
½ tbsp rosemary
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper

Method

Chop the fresh peppers, tomatoes, shallot and garlic roughly. Purée all ingredients, apart from the ground black pepper (that should be ground on the top of the soup before serving). Add a little water, if the soup seems to be too thick.

Let the soup rest one hour in the fridge before the serving. Then serve cool in glasses with ground black pepper on the top.


Enjoy!

Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. I'm so curious to try this out. :O
    Cold soup sounds so taboo to me, but I have this feeling that red bell peppers and strawberries would taste amazing together.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very sceptical first, too, but the flavour combination really worked even though I would normally also prefer a warm soup.

      Delete
  2. Hello!

    Wow, your Strawberry and pepper soup looks delicious!

    My name is Martina and I have read your blog and I really liked your recipes! I work for a website called myTaste.com and I would love for you to join us!

    www.mytaste.com is a search engine that collects food blogs. We already have over 3000 blogs and if you join us you will take benefit from the traffic that we are sending to your blog.

    Add our widget and hopefully with your recipes your blog will be on the top of the food blogs list!

    If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me at info@mytaste.com

    To join myTaste, just go to www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog


    Best regards, Martina
    mytaste.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martina! Thanks for the compliment and the info about your page, I will look into it. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.