2 June 2015

Couscous with red lentils and roasted carrots


This dish has everything I want from an easy weekday dish. It's simple, quick, cheap, tasty, fairly light and on top of it all, it's vegan! Those are the things I tend to appreciate most after a long day at work. Cooking is a relaxing method for me, but sometimes I just need to get the food ready quicker with less hassle. This week this was my Monday evening dinner and here's how I made it.

Ingredients

6 medium carrots
1+1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp sunflower seeds
3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 cup couscous
1 vegetable stock cube
½ cup red lentils
2 shallots
3 garlic cloves
1-2 tsp ras el hanout
Salt and pepper to taste


Method

Cut the carrots into about 2cm long thin sticks, brush them with olive oil and roast in the oven until soft.

Toast the seeds in the oven.

Cook the couscous in water with the vegetable stock cube and also cook the lentils separately.

Chop the shallots and garlic cloves finely and start cooking them in olive oil.

Once they are softened, add the lentils, spices, couscous, seeds and carrots.

Serve warm as a main or a side. This isn't too bad cold either.


Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. It looks lovely. It reminds me of a risotto dish I make for weekday suppers, but i have to say this is much lighter and lovelier for warm evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Well, a risotto sounds very lovely, but this was indeed light. I think that I might make these kind of couscous dishes often this summer.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.