3 September 2015

Pattypan squash spelt risotto


Maybe you already saw this dish in my lunchbox on Tuesday and here is the full recipe of my pattypan squash spelt risotto. I love the look of pattypan squashes, their shape is so quirky. Unfortunately I don't often find them in my local shops, but now my local health food store had a few of them in a great condition, so of course I had to buy them. The taste of this squash is quite mild and I think that they are closer to courgettes by taste and texture. That makes them quite versatile to use. I found this pattypan squash spelt risotto quite tasty, have a look how I made it.


Ingredients

1 pattypan squash
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions
3 garlic cloves
1 red bell pepper
25 g butter
250 ml pearled spelt
100 ml dry white wine
1 l vegetable stock
50 g vegetarian pasta cheese
Sage
Basil
Salt
Ground black pepper

Method

Peel and cut the pattypan squash into small cubes. Brush them with olive oil and roast in the oven until done with darker roasting marks.

Chop the onions and garlic finely and also cut the bell pepper into cubes.

Start cooking the onions, garlic and pepper in olive oil, and once they are soft, add the butter and pearled spelt into the pan.

Add the white wine and let the pearled spelt absorb it. Then add about the third of the vegetable stock and simmer under lid. Keep adding more stock whenever needed.

Towards the end, add the roasted pattypan squash and grated pasta cheese to the pan, and season with sage, basil, salt and ground black pepper.




Enjoy!

Your VegHog

6 comments:

  1. It certainly is coming up to Risotto weather and the fact that you have used what is in season, makes it even more appealing for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm quite happy about risotto weather. :) And I really love squashes, I want to eat loads this autumn and winter!

      Delete
  2. Your bowl is sooo cute!
    I actually ate some squash yesterday! But now I have to try it like this. :)

    Vegetarian CourtesyCheese with Papas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squash is always a good idea, and yes Moomins are quite cute. :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh sounds good!I've just recently started cooking with the spelt grain for the first time, and I am a fan of its nutty texture/flavour. I have also been into making risotto with alternatives - I have a recipe coming up on the blog for pearl barley risotto too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love pearled spelt and barley, they are great in risottos, stews, porridges... Looking forward to your recipe!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.