25 October 2015

Broccoli nuggets


I made these broccoli and cheese nuggets last year and now I made very similar ones to have a nice Saturday night meal while watching some Nordic noir on TV. These nuggets were baked in the oven, so they don't have any cooking fat on them. Of course I added cheese to make them extra tasty. I have to say that they went down pretty well. They had a crispy surface and were fluffy and cheesy inside with a nice broccoli flavour. I served the nuggets with chunky oven chips, barbeque sauce and cheese dip. 

Here is the recipe.

Ingredients

1 broccoli
1 onion
3 garlic cloves
Olive oil
Salt
Chilli flakes
1 tbsp spelt flour
100 g Cheddar and Red Leicester cheese mix
2 eggs
Breadcrumbs

Method

Cut the broccoli into florets and steam them until they are soft.

Chop the onion and garlic finely and cook them in olive oil until soft.

Let the components cool, combine them and add the salt, chilli flakes, spelt flour, grated cheese and the egg yolks.

Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl and also put the breadcrumbs into another bowl.

Shape nuggets from the broccoli mix and roll them in the egg whites first and then in the breadcrumbs.

Place them onto a baking tray and bake in the oven at 200 C for about 15-20 minutes until the surface is crispy and golden brown.

And they are all done!




I'm entering this recipe for this month's Eat Your Greens, which is a vegetarian cooking challenge hosted by Shaheen from A2K- A Seasonal Veg Table. Although my photos look more like eat your beige, but as broccoli is in the nuggets, I think it'll be fine. I'm happy that I finally cooked something with a green vegetable to be able to participate this month, as my cooking has been quite a bit about squashes, potatoes and cauliflower recently.


Have a great week!

Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. I love broccoli! This is one I'll be saving to hopefully try soon.

    Vegetarian CourtesyCheesePapas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that Adi. Please let me know how you liked them. :)

      Delete
  2. These are right up my street, yum. I made some broccoli burgers recently, and know I would love these too, esp. the crunch . Thanks for sharing with EatYourGreens as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ovening does give them a nice crunch, but now I'm also craving broccoli burgers!!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.