26 January 2016

Homemade vegetable stock


Vegetable stock is such an important part in vegetarian cooking, it can be used as a base of soups, risottos, stews etc. and it adds a hearty flavour. It's even good to be drank as a warming broth. Yet I'm mostly too lazy to make my own stock, although it's so much nicer and then you know what it contains. I normally use the vegetable stock powder, which I also find to be a good and convenient product.

Now I made a batch of homemade vegetable stock and froze the rest that I won't be using within a couple of days. You can use a whole variety of vegetables, but these below are the ingredients that I chose this time.

Ingredients

1 tsp olive oil
1 carrot
1 parsnip
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves
1 swiss chard
1 leek
2 plum tomatoes
Bunch of fresh parsley
2 bay leaves
15 black peppercorns
1-2 tsp salt
2,5 liters water


Method

Cut the vegetables into generous chunks.

Heat olive oil in a saucepan and cook the vegetables there for a few minutes.

Add the water, parsley, bay leaves, salt and peppercorns.

Let simmer under lid for about one hour and the stock is done.

Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.